Infrequently updated consistently funny

Saturday, July 15, 2006

What is happening to so many icons of my race?

What is with so many of the old black iconic female singers blowing up in size? It is really sad to me: Chakka, Patti, Aretha (BIG AS A HOUSE) Franklin, Etta James (to the point that she had to have surgery. I worry about this – diabetes, hypertension, heart disease all typically associated with increased body weight are major killers in the black community and I hate to see singers who so many look up to just seem to let themselves go. The male singers do it too – Peabo, Barry White, Luther Vandross (thing is so many of the men were already large that the change in size is not as shocking as when I see a singer go from rail thin to able to block the sun at noon) Chakka can now go “through the fire” by blocking air to it. Is this going to happen to Beyonce in 20 years? (not putting Beyonce in that class of singer yet! But I think she has the charisma and staying power to grow more and more)

Anyone close to me knows that I am not just worried about my weight I am paranoid about it, but as little as I do to keep the weight off I don’t think a time will ever come that I could comfortably allow myself to balloon a 100lbs and not do something drastic to take care of it…I love the above singers and I fear that if the black community does not do more to watch its overall lifestyle that more icons will be lost. RIP Luther, Barry and Etta!

Weird thing to note the amount of 50’s and 60’s icons that passed this week – I know they were old but a bunch died at the same time (I always think older folks die in groups because the will to live is extinguished when friends depart and not because of superstitions like death in 3’s or 7’s or whatever # peeps pick)

Now back to my 2.30am bar studies!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.