Infrequently updated consistently funny

Friday, March 18, 2005

A computer in a shoe?

So there is now a computerized shoe: I remember as a kid watching “Get Smart” on Nick at night and cracking up because of the shoe phone. But now, we are well on our way to turning our lives into completely controlled by computers: The Adidas 1 uses a sensor, a microprocessor and a motorized cable system to automatically adjust the shoes' cushioning. The sensor under the heel measures compression and decides whether the shoe is too soft or firm. That information is sent to the microprocessor and, while the shoe is in the air, the cable adjusts the heel cushion. The whole system weighs less than 40 grams. The shoe comes with replaceable lithium batteries that are estimated to be good for 100 hours of running. The shoe can be turned off and used as regular sneakers (to preserve battery life). The chip also shuts itself off, keeping the same cushioning, if a runner walks more than 10 minutes. Since runners tend to replace shoes at the 500 mile mark – at $250 these Adidas would basically cost 50 cents per mile but Adidas claims that the cushioning will outlast traditional shoes.

What happened to the good old days of canvas shoes? Chuck Taylor’s used to rule the world.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.