Infrequently updated consistently funny

Thursday, June 22, 2006

"We are prepared to die for our Country!"

I know some of you may not watch the games till the tape delay so if learning the result of the game spoils it for you –stop reading now.

So it is my firm belief that the effort was not there from one side and that no matter what the result in the Italy Game would ultimately be the US team did not play like they wanted to move on (I know they wanted to – they just didn’t play like it). Say what you want about the ref and he was atrocious today – America did not deserve more than a tie today at best and that was not going to cut it anyway.

When your team captain makes a egregious error in the back field and clearly causes a goal I think much of your spirit is broken. But even before that the team lacked fire and competency. I am saddened by this effort – I wanted the US to go to the next round but today they showed that they didn’t deserve to – so disappointing. Listen to what the Ghana captain had said before the game “We are prepared to die for our country” that is some fire inna yuh belly kinna talk. The US had none of that.

Bruce Arena may want to dust of his resume because he produced this team and did not seem to inspire them to greatness. Before the World Cup I said Dempsey should start – Arena disagreed with almost every fan of the US team and sat Dempsey the entire first game he then sat Eddie Johnson all of the 2nd game favoring aging players who had showed no spark. I love that Demps got the goal today (the only goal scored by a US player) because he silenced all his critics and showed why many of us think he could be a star (he plays MLS…take of that what you will). I am not the quickest to say that a coach should be fired because I think too often fans scream for coaches heads but think of this as he has done all he can – if you hired someone to dig a well and all they showed up with was a shovel, once they start and clearly cannot finish the job you would replace them…maybe it’s now time for the US to hire someone with at least a pick axe.
Ghana 2 US 1; Italia 1 Czechs 0: Italy and Ghana advance!

If di fassy woulda jus play di bwoy dem weh have di talent fi put di rahtid ball inna di back a di rahtid net CONCACAF couldda have more dan jus soso Mexico inna di game fi rep wi!

2 comments:

Marc M said...

I am happy that Ghana went through because all the other African sides are out. I personally never thought the U.S. had a chance to go through in the group they were in, but the U.S. players didn't help themselves by playing like they shared my thoughts.

The quality of MLS football still has some going up to do before America can tackle teams loaded with veterans of European leagues.

Anyways I think you are right on. Both the U.S. and Ghana were in a situation where to advance they needed to show some grit and teamwork. Ghana showed that grit and team work, while the U.S. didn't.

Mad Bull said...

Bwoy, I usually don't want the U.S. to advance. I don't care if they are from CONCACAF, they are not Caribbean. I am glad that they are not progressing. On top of that, I wanted an African nation to advance...

Shotta Mark, what a gwaan sah? Hey, all the Cariblogrs been wondering what happened to you... I guess everything is alright tho. Peace out, brother...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.