Infrequently updated consistently funny

Monday, November 22, 2004

Desperate Housewives!

So, I have to say that this show is pretty damn funny/interesting and one step away from destroying the family fabric. According to the peeps who do TV stats the shows audience is 40% male which is an extremely high percentage for a show of that type but the show is funny and well written and there is at least one or 2 characters on that show that most peeps know someone like. Anyway, the promo for the show last week on MNF generated massive controversy and would prolly still be talked about on ESPN if the brawl had not occured. So if you dont know; the promo featured a star from the show in a towel in the eagles locker room seducing T.O. the spot ends with her dropping the towel and jumping into T.O.'s arms. All that can be seen of her nudity is her back, not even the 3/4s of the buttocks that the FCC allows you to show. There was massive uproar that the spot was inappropriate and that kids would be harmed etc. Hogwash, no kids were harmed by that spot; kids that would have been harmed should not have been up anyway to be watching MNF and to be honest most kids would not have understood the promo anyway. The ad was no worse than the beer ads that can be seen on a regular basis with women rolling around in bras and panties fighting over the taste of beer (isnt that a worse message to send).
Now Tony Dungy (Coach of the colts) said that he found the ad to be racially offensive and taking us back to the bad days when black men were seen as sexual predators who made no committments and seduced women etc. Correction coach in the ad the WHITE woman seduced the BLACK man. I loved the ad, the radial implications of it did not hit me till u said them, and u know what I still dont see yours what I do see is an improvement, I saw something that 35 years ago when MNF debuted would never have been shown on TV, I saw a society that has evolved enough to allow a black man to be seen on TV hugging a naked white woman. I saw a funny ad and I never at any point saw it as a black man w/ a white woman thing until u dragged that out of no where and completely destroyed what was just a fun cross promotion. The name of the show is Desperate Housewives, the ladies are sex crazed hence she jumps a man in a locker room, relax and enjoy a new America. We have evolved.

2 comments:

Marc M said...

Well I don't know anything about this show man, but it is true some of ur points. American society is so willing to have guns blazing at all hours of the day on tv and when a woman shows a little cleavage it's the end of the world. I'd rather make babies than war - these signals just make little sense to me.

And I'm also with you on ur other point, a lot of blacks are too 'conscious'. Yeah I agree that historically we were given the wrong end of the stick, but too many people using it as an excuse to feel sorry for themselves and to be lazy. Damn it not everything is part of some greater conspiracy to keep the black race down. Anyways big up man coming from Minnesota.

M.A.M.

Anonymous said...

ok I saw the commercial. Big freakin deal.
The show itself is a lot more explicit, not to mention half the other crap on TV.

Also I read a report that said most of the complaints were copies, ie. just email campaigns (people forwarding the same complaint and putting their name on it).

Also note there was almost no uproar during or directly after the game. Why? 'cause most people were not offended. Its only after the complaints got sydicated that people jumped on the "This is bad" bandwagon.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.