And no surprise, black men lead as the highest percentage of incarcerated individuals...what is surprising is that Texas and Kansas have acted to slow their rate of incarceration (and it is not via executions).
Read this article for yourself, educate yourself about the ills of our society and then try to make some change...even if it is just staying out of jail your damn self!
This paragraph almost made me cry "Four states - Vermont, Michigan, Oregon and Connecticut - spend more on corrections than on higher education, the report said."
"For some groups, the incarceration numbers are especially startling," the report said.
"While one in 30 men between the ages of 20 and 34 is behind bars, for black males in that age group the figure is one in nine."
The racial disparity for women is also stark. One in 355 white women ages 35 to 39 is behind bars, compared with one in 100 black women in that age group.
Infrequently updated consistently funny
- ► 2013 (23)
- ► 2011 (33)
- ► 2010 (13)
- ► 2009 (43)
- Stars are just like us...they can say things just ...
- A pregnant man? That can NEVER be right!
- A high school moment, and a mini rant re a fake co...
- Stealing from a church is disgusting and other lin...
- Hard to believe I could feel sympathy for an Aggie...
- March Madness begins v1.3
- "I took an AIDS test...so should you! " and some l...
- Happy Birthday...
- 'That's Amore' recap via IM's with Erin
- Awkward moment in the club...vol 2.342
- One of the 2 men I love is coming into town! v.1.3...
- "That's Amore"
- America ranks as the world's #1 incarcerator...and...
- Word of the day...and assassin gets mad at me
- ▼ March (14)
- ► 2007 (245)
- ► 2006 (418)
- ► 2005 (478)
- Cali J
- Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.