Infrequently updated consistently funny

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Of overpriced cycling shorts and a shout out!


So anyone who read the Thursday blog knows that I have been shopping for cycling shorts. Well finally they arrived today and they fit etc and thankfully do not look like traditional cycling shorts (seriously I am way too modest to wear tight fitting, crotch hugging, bulge advertising, leg smoothing shorts) so I purchased a pair that look like basketball shorts but still contain the necessary (God knows it is necessary) padding for the long rides that I plan to take. Now that I am easily doing 20-30 mile stretches I want to do longer rides of 50 miles or so.

Anyway I digress I started this blog to rant about the ridiculous cost of cycling shorts. Lance Armstrong is a hero of mine and I initially figured that if I am going to look ridiculous and rock cycling shorts I might as well go for the Discovery shorts look, then I saw the prices; some places were claiming sales on the shorts at $120. Come on now that is retarded; they are just shorts, not a full kit. Unless those shorts guarantee that I will now ride like Lance and not suffer fatigue or be passed by old men that look 60 years old but somehow ride faster than me they cannot be worth that much to me.

Check this link for a sample of some of the shorts prices.

I decided that I had to go the baggy shorts route plus get some shorts that have pockets (since the ipod has to travel with me as well as a business card or id – just in case I ever take too bad a spill and need someone to take care of me) and something that should I jump off the bike and meet normal people I will not look too much like a “cycling dork” words of the guy at the bike shop not mine.

Though this is a rant blog I should say much love to the folks at Sports Chalet who did some important adjustments to my bicycle and did not charge me a cent as well as gave me some helpful hints. So often everyone seems out to squeeze us for all they can get, but the folks in the bicycle department seem to genuinely just want to help cyclists, there is not enough of that in this world.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.