Infrequently updated consistently funny

Friday, April 08, 2005

Jane Fonda - it's just not right!

[``The image of Jane Fonda, `Barbarella,' Henry Fonda's daughter . . . sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal . . . the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine,'' Jane Fonda on 60 minutes.] Really Jane? Consorting with the enemy, going against your own government even posing for pictures on an anti-aircraft gun a gun that was used to try and shoot down your own country men that was a “lapse of judgment”? Nah, I think that was more like treason. Strange that now that your new book needs promotion you have seen the light – that’s disgusting. Anyone is free to protest against a war, but to actively go to the war torn region and basically become a major propaganda piece for your country’s enemy cannot be condoned. If the North Vietnamese had held on to you as a captive you would have been hella pissed if the government didn’t try to get your ass out of Vietnam. So now you say that your trip was a peace keeping mission etc etc, but come on. You were a celebrity; you had to have known what kind of image you would create. And the new claim that you did not intend to be on the anti-aircraft gun does not ring true, in all those pics and videos you are smiling your head off, not the image of someone who does not want to be somewhere. You were Henry Fonda’s daughter you were a star in your own right you knew the limelight, you knew how to work the press, I find it difficult to believe that you were tricked in anyway. It seems more likely that you were caught up in thinking you could do anything at the time (“The road to hell is paved with good intentions”) and maybe you thought you really were helping the troops, but your brand of help if carried out by regular people would almost certainly have caused a trial for treason: not necessarily a conviction, but at least a sincere attempt at getting you for it. Note however, I do not believe you meant to be a traitor, nor do I believe that you should then or now have been tried for treason (though others were charged for much less [look up Tokyo Rose if you want info on how easily a treason conviction can be achieved]), but damn I would have preferred a much more sincere apology and not apologies that are always sandwiched with a grab for attention and the usual addition that you were framed blah blah ad nausea. Damn it woman fess up: You messed up. Though gotta give you some props some of those explanations that you give are pretty smooth – amazing what you can come up with when you take 30 years to explain it!

Some quick bullet points
- She declared that American POWs were being treated humanely
- Condemned U.S. soldiers as "war criminals"
- Denounced U.S. soldiers as liars for claiming they had been tortured
- An email has circulated for years accusing her of this: As she toured a POW facility, POWs gave her slips of paper with their SSN on them hoping she would take it to the outside world but once the camera stopped rolling she handed over the papers to the officer in charge and the men were savagely beaten. Those named in the inflammatory e-mail categorically deny the events they supposedly were part of. "It's a figment of somebody's imagination," says Ret. Col. Larry Carrigan, one of the servicemen mentioned in the 'slips of paper' incident.
- The last time that she offered a public apology of any sort was in 1988 when a movie she was working on was being disrupted by Vietnam vets: hmm coincidence that once again there is a public apology?
- she publicly thanked the Soviets for providing assistance to the North Vietnamese
- In her new book she describes the act of purging as “somewhat orgasmic” [so not about the war – but thought it very interesting]
I make no claims as to whether the Vietnam War was right or wrong, but Jane Fonda’s actions during the war were plainly wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention the part that she was married to the founder of CNN Ted Turner - coincidence?

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.