Infrequently updated consistently funny

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Batman Begins!!!!!

Let me first reveal that I am biased, Batman has always been one of my favorite superheroes so I know that I am not as impartial as a reviewer should be. That being said I can still say what is a bad movie (Batman and Robin [Clooney should never have been Batman]). This review will not I repeat will not be a spoiler (I hate those) a movie should be a surprise when you enter it.

- The trailers do not do this movie any justice. It is the best movie of the year so far!! And yes I saw Star Wars. Do not let the Batmobile shown in the trailer scare you off, once you see that scene incorporated in the movies fabric it just makes you want to go out and purchase a tank-like vehicle.

The movie returns to the dark side of the Dark Knight: DC comics realized decades ago that Batman required a psyche that was a little edgier than the ordinary hero. This movie captures much of what it would take to cause a billionaire playboy to crack-pull it together-and then turn into a vengeful crusader. There is an extraordinary amount of overlooked talent in this movie. By the way do not be scared off by the fact that Katie Holmes is in this movie – I would have preferred a different actress but she is not terrible in the moments when she appears and thankfully those are kept to a minimum. (Notice every superhero has to have a love interest?) Since I have vented on Katie let me just run down the rest of the actors
Christian Bale is the best batman so far: The right mix of rich arrogance as Bruce Wayne and contained rage as Batman.
Michael Caine as Alfred is impressive he exudes that aura of control and knowledge of his masters need.
Liam Neeson as Ducard throws in another quality performance, he is fine as a counterbalance to the presence of the other actors.
Gary Oldman is perfect as an up and coming police officer- The man who would be Commissioner Gordon
Cillian Murphy is delightfully creepy as the head of Arkham; if you ever read “One flew over the Cuckoo’s nest” you know that, hang out long enough at a mental asylum and u also become distanced from reality.
Ken Watanabe: he was better than Tom Cruise (see Tom and Katie referenced in the same post –Cali-J) in The Last Samurai and he basically reprises that role here.
Morgan Freeman is Lucius Fox: He is often called the greatest living actor and even though this is a bit part for him, he steals the scenes that he is in, living up to his rep.

The only possible flaw in this movie is that some of the fight sequences are hard to follow but I would still go and see it again and that is very rare for me. Go see it: you don’t have to be a batman fan to love this movie. Note I didn’t say like because I think you will LOVE IT like I did! And I am perfectly willing to go again with anyone who wants to go. Rolling out with a crew of 8 was fun.

3 comments:

Maria Elisa said...

The best part of this movie was that the characters weren't just caracitures. They were fully developed characters. The script was good, the plot was well thought out, the actors were perfectly cast (even Katie Jones). I'm curious Aaron. Who would you have chosen for that role? I will definitely agree with you that this is one of the best movies of the year. Haven't seen Mr. an Mrs. Smith yet. I've heard great things about it. I'll let you know when I see it.

Anonymous said...

wanna come out here n see it with me? :)

Cali J said...

Not a casting director and to be honest I find it hard to remember young actresses but off the top of my head maybe Keira Knightley not sure if she looks old enough (then again Katie is pretty young too) Gabrielle Union, Kate Hudson, Kirsten Dunst (though she annoys me and I think the Spiderman franchise would have a cow if she did that, Cameron Diaz, Julia Styles is that enough? I would even pick the chic that plays Chloe on Smallville over Katie.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.