Infrequently updated consistently funny

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Common Show

Shout out to my boy Greg for grabbing the tickets to check out Common at the all new House of Blues (HOB - if your cool). The show should be hype and if my plan works out we should be VIP's. Afterall, just because the artist is called Common does not mean that his fans have to be common folk. So I know some of my peeps hate the fact that Common now does music/ads/TV etc. His string of endorsements is getting as long as Britney's boobs now hang. But, I say good for him, at least he is finally getting paid, I don't think an artist is selling out just because they start to make money or do endorsements. The quality of their music is what I care about, if that falls off then the endorsements etc have come in the way (or the talented producer behind them has left - see Britney w/o the Neptunes). Of course when the artists start to put themselves out as more than Artists and start to do social causes or talk politics etc then I take a closer at them as a person. I will rant soon re the Live 8 concert. Just look at the list of some of the Artist scheduled to perform: Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, Sir Elton John, Annie Lennox, Sir Paul McCartney, Muse, Razorlight, REM, Scissor Sisters, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting, Joss Stone, Robbie Williams, U2, Velvet Revolver, Bob Geldof, The Killers, Madonna and The Cure. A few names in that group immediately jump to my mind as devoid of any social conscious and publicity hounds in search of the "feel good" story. Oh well maybe that nagging feeling is im-material!

7 comments:

Maria Elisa said...

I don't think you're being entirely fair to the "material girl." She is actually quite the philantropist and a member of MENSA (although that doesn't necessarily make her socially conscious). It's easy to judge people that stand out. You should know this sweets.

Anonymous said...

In regards to the above post, her being part of MENSA is entirely irrelevant and really isn't even that difficult.

Cali J said...

She was just an easy target; but, like I said I will truly vent on that topic when I have time. My thing is that there is more that could be done that would not require flashiness and I think some of it is a bit hypocritical when peeps go out and buy all these flashy things that are made by peeps in countries suffering from poverty and cheap labor, and then turn around and say "hey look at how much money I am giving to this cause du jour"

Anonymous said...

Mensa should be viewed as a negative. Pretty much everyone at USD could be a member of Mensa if they so chose. You only need to be top 90% on the LSAT and they let you in.

Maria Elisa said...

Read the parenthetical in the post. Hahahaha. I figured someone would pounce on that.

Being a member of MENSA may or may not be that difficult, but it is certainly more selective than law school. How many people do you know with an IQ of 170 or above? (I'll have to double check that number) Consider that the average IQ is 100. Granted IQ is only one type of measure, but I can definitely respect a genius IQ.

Cali J said...

I appreciate the respect!

Anonymous said...

genius IQ is something to respect, however, being in MENSA doesn't mean you have one. All you have to get is a 165 or something on the LSAT to get into MENSA---not exactly genius

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Cali-J ueber alles in der Welt. Some think that I am mean; (I call them friends), in fact I am not that mean. What I am is sarcastic and dry to the sandpaper level. I have friends that I have never said a kind word to their face, but I praise to the ends of the earth to anyone I know and will defend them to the end. That’s just how I roll! My boys know that I am down for them, my girls know that no matter what I will keep them safe (and occasionally flirt with them [If you are a female friend of mine and think I haven’t flirted with you it just means you didn’t notice, it was extremely subtle or…not yet ]). No one is safe from my sarcasm even my own parents; hence of course as a kid I spent a significant amount of time in punishment. I treat people with respect if I think they deserve it – everyone starts off with the same amount of respect from me (a lot). You don’t need to earn my respect; you have to keep my respect.